Monday, February 7, 2011

Ni Hao!

...which, of course, is "Hello," in Mandarin.  I figure it's time I start discussing the new and upcoming move to Hong Kong, China!  While Mandarin is actually not the primary language in Hong Kong (Cantonese and English), it's the one we used while visiting China in December.  Taylor and I were able to beg his mom to pick us up some Rosetta Stone off the streets of China (a small 15 bucks to the normal hundreds!) and we are anxiously awaiting the beginning of our lessons.  So. This move to Hong Kong.  Where did it come from?  I joke that you can blame my in-laws :)  They do have a sense of adventure that both Taylor and I would like to develop in our own lives! Plus, we're young, without kids (well, Nooma, but yes, she'll need a new home..so sad!), and at a point in our lives where if we don't do this now, we may NEVER do it. And NEVER is not a part of our current vocabulary. So! Bring on the selfish years!  No, we really do feel like this trip will benefit any future family of ours as it will create in us, a more comfortable feeling with change.  We believe it will also be a wonderful witness to our own kids of our faith in Christ and that we are truly trusting him on this journey.  Noooow for the details!  We are moving about the 3rd week of July, packing very minimal amounts and leaving the rest in storage (or getting rid of what little we truly own, ha!).  We have both been hired to teach at International Christian School-Hong Kong.  Taylor will be teaching 3 sessions of 8th grade Bible, 1 session of Algebra 1 (WHAT?!) and 1 session of PE.  He's super excited about the variation of the day! I'll be a Special Education Consultant basically--helping kids with special needs (less severe) within the general education curriculum.  Both jobs will be different for us so it's kind of exciting to be going through the same transition, together.  The first year we will live on campus (they 7th floor of the school has apartments for all new-hires).  After that, we will be given a housing allowance and a realtor to help us find our 2nd year place. (We did sign a 2-year contract--and then after that, who knows what God has in store for us?!)  We are salaried and the benefits fare better than the States--we're looking forward to a good opportunity to save and hopefully, travel! Below is a picture of the Hong Kong skyline--breathtaking!


 So...we are still in the processing stage, I believe. Every other day, one of us looks at the other one, and says, "We're moving to China!" I'm sure it's a time I'll look back on and treasure.  The uncertainty, change, excitement--and the need to cling to our Father so deeply to know He has this one fully planned for us :)  We look forward to spending quality time with friends and family before we go--and the benefit?  We come home over summers and maybe some Christmases!  Brilliant!  So until the next time....Zai jian!  (Goodbye!)

2 comments:

  1. What a fabulous post! Full of dreams, hopes, reality & a great picture! Go, Dubs, Go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thrilled for you two and the upcoming adventure. There will be things much more difficult than you would have imagined but there will be even more much sweeter. I look forward to hearing about them all, and all the Father teaches you as you learn to let go of the familiar and rely solely on Him and each other. I hope we can see you before you head off! :)

    ReplyDelete